VAWA / Adjustment of Status

Violence Against Women Act

The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) is a law that allows spouses and unmarried children the ability to request lawful permanent residency if they have experienced domestic violence while living in the U.S. 

To qualify, the victim spouse must be married to a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident. If the victim spouse and children are in the U.S. illegally, they will receive forgiveness and will be eligible for a green card if their VAWA request is granted.

Adjustment of Status

Adjustment of Status is a means of applying for permanent residency (green card) for individuals already living in the U.S. who are not U.S. citizens. Eligible individuals must file a petition and applicable information, and must attend an interview, before an Adjustment of Status will be granted. This process can take up to 14 months, and is most successful with the help of an immigration attorney.