U Visa / Consular Processing

U Visa

A U visa is a type of visa that helps victims of crimes who are considered non-immigrants. When approved, U visas allow individuals to obtain non-immigrant status before applying for lawful permanent residency. You must be able to prove that you are a victim of a crime that occurred in the U.S. You may also need to prove emotional hardship. The best way to obtain a U visa is to work with an immigration attorney as early in the process as possible.

Consular Processing

Once you have an approved immigrant petition, you can choose consular processing as a means of applying for lawful permanent resident status. Consular processing applies to immigrants located outside the U.S. Individuals apply at a Consulate and attend an interview before being admitted as a permanent resident. To learn more about this process, contact The Law Office of Sharon Abaud.